Weight: 0.035 kg
Ecological wallet in hand-woven ramie
What is ramie ?
Ramie is a plant from the nettles family, non itching and ecological :
- It grows very easily, without chemicals ;
- It also grows quickly and can be harvested several times per year.
Its long and thin fibres result in a bright and resistant yarn. Indeed, they are the natural fibres with the highest tenacity/fineness.
Fort thousands of years, this plante is used for textiles and papers manufacturing in several continents, particularly in Asia.
How we found out about ramie
During our investigation looking for ecological materials, we heard about ramie culture in central China. So we went to some villages of the Hunan province, Mao native region.
Local craftsmen still harvest and transform ramie there, in a traditional way :
- The plant is first shelled so that the fibres can be extracted.
- Fibres are then transformed in thread, which is woven on specific old looms.
- This results in a textile with with a very fine weaving. Last but not least, they cover it with a rice syrup to make it rot-proof and durable.
Ramie for Gorfoo wallets
As hemp, ramie is an ancestral plante but currently revived thanks to its environmental qualities.
And as well as we use Sapa hemp for Gorfoo caps, we promote Chinese ramie for our wallets.
Indeed, from this rare, original and ecological fabric we have designed two models :
- GO wallet, with the brand name printed on the front ;
- ADILI wallet (click here), with the brand logo (pingouin) printed on the front.
In both cases, the printing is done in France with water-based ink.
Dimensions : 10 x 7 cm
Limited editions !
This product is vegan.