Weight: 0.08 kg
Traditional handcrafted hemp fabrics
Hemp fabric is a great material for amateur or professional tailors and seamstress who are looking for rare, sustainable and eco-friendly fabrics.
- Hemp has been grown in North Vietnam for centuries to make traditional clothes.
- The communities practise organic farming, with no chemicals added.
- Once cropped, Hmong women turn hemp into yarn.
- Then hemp gets traditionally woven, with no electricity.
- We directly buy the hemp fabrics to the villages, at a fair price.
- Length : from 1 to 20 meters
- Width : 30 centimeters
- Available colors : Natural hemp color / Indigo blue (natural dying process)
- Weight : 80 grams/meter
- Price : 12€/meter
Besides, this fabric is very resistant. It also provides antifungal and bactericid properties.
Hemp is an ancestral plant with many agronomic and ecological assets :
- Its crop does not require chemicals, because hemp grows very quickly and therefore smother the weeds ;
- Thanks to its deep roots, hemp draws the water it needs ;
- Its culture improves soil structure, thus increases the following crops yield ;
- One hectare of hemp absorbs between 14 to 18 tons of CO2 per year ;
- Thanks to the density and height of its culture, it represents a unique biodiversity reservoir ;
- Last but not least, hemp is a very versatile plant. It can be fully used, whether for construction, paper, food (human, birdfeed), cosmetic or textile.
Thanks to its environmental virtues, the long-forgotten hemp gets back in the spotlight !